It's About Changing Lives Through Education
We offer adult learners who did not complete high school the opportunity to transform their lives by earning a high school diploma, learning to be community leaders, and prepare for careers and employment based on academic requirements. This opportunity can also prepare students for entrance into college and other postsecondary training.
Career Online High School was developed in 2012 through a partnership by Cengage Learning and Smart Horizons Career Online Education (SHCOE) in an effort to provide affordable, career-based online education opportunities for the millions of adults in the United States without high school diplomas. SHCOE is the world's first online school district. Texas A&M University is excited to be a part of this partnership. [See "Accreditation" below.]
How It Works
1. Enroll and get Transfer Credit
- Transfer in high school credits for courses you already completed
- Virtual Welcome Kit shows you step by step how the program works
- Welcome phone call kicks off a virtual tour of the online campus (think of it as the first-day-of-school orientation)
2. Start your online high school diploma courses
- Available 24/7
- Instant feedback on lessons and exams
- Online learning resources including eLibrary, Calendar, and Academic Support Services
- Your very own Pace Guide to show you how much you need to complete in order to stay on track to graduate
3. Get help whenever you need it
- Academic Coach
- Qualified, certified instructors
- Technical Support
4. Prepare for your career
- Complete coursework to become certified in your chosen career area
- Attend online seminars to prepare you for work
- Career Portfolio helps you prepare resumes, cover letters, and more
5. Graduate with the following
- Accredited High School Diploma
- Career Certificate
- Career Portfolio with resumes and cover letters
- Job training and skills
Click here to receive information on How To Enroll and How the COHS program works.
*Students must be 16 years of age or older and completed the 8th grade at an accredited institution prior to the first day of class. Minors will be required to obtain parental consent for acknowledgment of responsibility and enrollment.
Major Corporate Partners provide the program to their employees: Walmart, McDonald's, and Goodwill.
Strategic Partners: UpSkill America, SkillsUSA, ACTE, Jobs For The Future, and the National Association of Workforce Boards.
Accreditation: Smart Horizons Career Online Education (aka SHCOE) is recognized across the nation as a quality school system, delivering an AdvancED/SACS/NCA/NWAC accredited online high school diploma. SHCOE is fully accredited as an online school district by the AdvancED Accreditation Commission, the national commission that confers the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Council on Accreditation and School Improvement ( SACS CASI), North Central Association Commission on Accreditation and School Improvement (NCA CASI), and the Northwest Accreditation Commission ( NWAC ) accreditation seals.